Ethical Principles – Edward L-S

Personal Statement of Commitment to Ethical Principles

Upon exploring the RAE/EC Ethical Principles, I noticed an emphasis on integrity, honesty, and accountability. These principles resonate closely with my own personal values. As I finish my degree and begin my professional career, I will be committed to upholding these values in every aspect of my work. I believe that accuracy and communication are extremely important aspects of being a successful engineer and will therefore work towards keeping all my knowledge and skills up to date whilst also trying to promote equality, diversity and inclusion to create a healthy environment where everyone feels respected and valued.  

The joint Statement of Ethical Principles issued by the Royal Academy of Engineering (RAE) and the Engineering Council (EC), along with the guidance provided by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), offer a fundamental framework for ethical practices within engineering. However, I believe that it is important to supplement these resources with a diverse range of perspectives in order to develop my own comprehensive understanding of engineering ethics. I found it extremely useful to listen to “The Ethics Incubator” podcast by the national academy of engineering. In this podcast there are conversations with different engineers from various disciplines who share their experience navigating ethnical challenges within their own careers. The ability to hear firsthand accounts of ethical decision-making processes provided me with a valuable insight into the practical application of ethical principles within engineering practices.